Coffee creamer and I have been together for over 4 years now. We've had our ups and downs, but mostly ups. We almost broke-up a few times but, due to my desire to drink warm-sweet goodness in the early hours of the day we always found our way back to one another. Our love story is like many others, it may not be healthy but at the end of the day it works. Before I met coffee creamer I was a strong dark girl. The blacker the coffee the better. I drank coffee like my father and his father and his father after that. Sadly, with pregnancy my desire to drink my coffee black (and basically eat anything healthy) faded away into the distance. I was left with a decision: not drink coffee or drink coffee with creamer. Well, giving up coffee was not on the table. So, I went to the other side and once you go creamer it's hard to go back. I am now a strong, creamy girl. But, with the new year approaching and my skin looking worse than ever it has me thinking, "perhaps it may be time to ditch the creamer?" I'm not quiet ready to go back to my dark roots, but I am ready to switch my daily creamer addiction to a more healthier alternative. In the next few paragraphs I will talk about 5 healthy coffee creamer alternatives that actually taste good.
5 Healthy Coffee Creamer Alternatives That Actually Taste Good
- Coconut Oil. The first of the healthy coffee creamer alternatives that actually taste good is coconut oil. Coconut oil in comparison to standard coffee creamer is equaivelant in calories, but thats about it. A 1-tablespoon serving of coffee creamer is 100 empty calories while a serving of coconut oil equals a 100 calories of nutritional power. According to Kris Gunnars, BSc health expert writing on behalf of the Healthline website coconut oil can help your body burn fat, it promotes a healthy form of saturated fat called "Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs)" which help with brain disorders such as Alzheimer's and it can help decrease heart disease.
- Coconut Milk. The second of the healthy coffee creamer alternatives that actually taste good is coconut milk. With similar health benefits to coconut oil, coconut milk will also satisfy your creamy milk cravings. The full-fat version of coconut milk offers a rich and thick flavor punch for only 37 calories per 1-tablespoon. If you want to go even lighter on calories you can substitute “lite” coconut milk for traditional coconut milk to trim roughly two-thirds of the fat and calories without sacrificing flavor.
- Almond Milk. The third of the healthy coffee creamer alternatives that actually taste good is almond milk. Almond milk is similar to coconut milk in the sense that it's FULL of nutrition. The vitamins and minerals in almond milk can strengthen bones, improve muscle recovery and even help with your vision. With a low calorie count of only 5 calories per 1-tablespoon you can pour as much of the white stuff into your cup of joe as you please and not feel at all guilty about it.
- Protein Powder. The fourth of the healthy coffee creamer alternatives that actually taste good is protein powder. Protein powder has hit mainstream so if you're reading this article you probably have some in your cupboard. Depending on how much you stir into your coffee protein powder can be an amazing substitute for coffee creamer, especially if you're working out. Even 1-tabespoon or 10 calories of protein powder can provide essential vitamins and minerals to help get you ready of your workout or aid in repairing your muscles from a previous session. The more you stir in the more muscle-buiding benefit you're going to gain from a your protein-packed cup of coffee.
- Spices. The final of the healthy coffee creamer alternatives that actually taste good is spices. This would be an alternative to creamer if you're willing to forego the creamy milky goodness you can get from the previous 4 options. But, if you ditched the standard creamer and decided to go all-out spices you could save yourself thousands of calories in a year, equalling over 10 pounds of fat loss. Some good spices to try in your are coffee are: ,, , and .
Do you love your coffee creamer? Have you discovered an alternative to it that's as good or better?
Want to know more ways to burn 100 calories? Check-out this article from the Learning Center, "How to Burn an Extra 100 Calories a Day and Hardly Notice it".