Traveling can be the perfect opportunity to not only maintain your current level of fitness but improve it.
Call me crazy but I love working out when I am traveling. Whether it's a trip for work, family vacation or a girls weekend away I can always find a way to make the trip even better by adding in exercise. I absolutely take the "no excuses" mantra about working out when I am traveling. I firmly believe if there's a will there's a way and I can turn any environment into an opportunity to get stronger, faster or more flexible!
5 reasons I always workout while I am traveling
- It's time to myself. Traveling usually involves other people in some form. I don't know about you but I need a break from other people for at least 1 hour a day. Working out gives me that social break and when I return back to the social atmosphere I am stronger mentally and physically.
- I feel better about indulging in different food. I love eating out especially in a new city. At home I eat healthy but when I go out I always get exactly what I want (hamburger, fries, desert, etc.) Traveling for me involves plenty of restaurants which means plenty of extra calories. My workouts help balance the calories out and allow me to return home still fitting into the clothes I brought with me.
- My clothes look better. A bikini will always look better to ME if I worked out before slipping it on. And who doesn't enjoy a nice arm pump when you're going out at night on vacation? Will other people notice these small changes? Probably not. But you will FEEL more confident in your clothes with a workout to go along with them.
- It forces me to get creative with my workouts. Attempting a workout with different or minimal exercise equipment pushes me outside of my exercise comfort zone. Even being a trainer I get stuck in my own workout ruts. I am like everybody else in the sense that I like to do exercises that I am good at and that I know. I always come up with new routines for myself and my clients (much to their enjoyment) when I am out of town.
- I get to explore new territory. I have seen some pretty amazing things on outdoor runs while on vacation. I have also tried new fitness classes and gone to unique gyms. In fact, one of my favorite things to do when traveling to a big city is try a new fitness class that is not available in my area. If I do good in class good for me and if I look like a complete fool oh well! The important things are that I tried something new and that I will likely never see any of my fellow classmates again so it's all good!